There is an increased emphasis on changing the present maintenance philosophy to condition based maintenance. The Institute is contributing in spreading awareness in condition monitoring and non-destructive testing techniques.
Instrumentation laboratory is equipped with wide variety of testing facilities. There are four sections under the laboratory covering different aspects of Condition Monitoring and Non-Destructive testing. Facilities exist for Condition Monitoring of electrical equipment like oil testing, measurement of tan delta, partial discharge tests up to 20 kV, surge comparison test etc
OIL TESTING LABORATORY
The test facilities as per IS 335 and IS 1866 is available in the oil testing laboratory.
The following parameters of the oil sample can be tested:
- Acidity Test
- BDV (Break Down Voltage) Test
- Moisture Content Test
- DGA (Dissolved Gas Analysis) Test
- Resistivity Test
- Tan d Testing
- Flash Point Testing
- IFT (Inter Facial Testing)
In addition to the above trainee officers are being trained to look at the health of oil from the colour of oil.
In the lab the proper method of sampling of oil and performing test is also shown to trainee officers. This lab carries out oil testing on the oil samples received from field units for the academic purpose.
Non Destructive Testing Laboratory
The laboratory has following testing facilities:
- Liquid Penetrant Testing,
- Magnetic Particle Testing,
- Ultra-sonic Testing,
- Eddy current Testing,
- Visual testing and viewing of radiographs etc.
This facility is vital for detection of cracks in safety items at early stage enabling timely replacement and preempting the failure.
CONDITION MONITORING LAB
We have recently upgraded the Instrumentation laboratory with induction of the following equipment:
- Insulation Resistance and Polarization Index Analyzer.
- Shock pulse analyzer for monitoring bearing condition.
- Vibration Signature Analysis for monitoring over all system condition.
- Video scope for visual inspection of inaccessible locations.
- Data Logger for condition monitoring of air-condition coaches.
- Instrumentation trainer's kit showing use of wide range of transducers.
- Automatic tan delta bridge.
The condition-monitoring laboratory at IRIEEN is the only one of its kind amongst all CTIs ( Centralized Training Institute) and the facilities available are of unique type.
Article for download by Prof. Sh S.K.Srivastava
·Cable Insulation Resistance download
- Performance study of Solid State fan regulators vis-a-vis Conventional fan regulators download